Author gets down to bare bones of crime writing

Cal State Long Beach’s Alumni Association held its Orange County Speaker Series in Costa Mesa on Oct. 22, featuring award-winning crime writer and alumna Jan Burke.

Burke is critically acclaimed and a national bestselling author. In addition, she is the winner of the Edgar Award for Best Novel for her story “Bones.” Her mystery series includes “Goodnight Irene,” “Bloodlines” and “Kidnapped.” She is also the author of “Fight,” “Nine” and “Eighteen.”

Burke has held many leadership roles as a mystery writer. She is the previous president of the Southern California Chapter of Mystery Writer’s of America and served on the MWA’s national board. She is also the founder and director of the Crime Lab Project, which supports forensic science in the U.S.

Burke discussed her life and personal achievements as a writer. She wanted to be a writer when she was 7 and graduated from CSULB with a degree in history. She said CSULB had an important influence in her writing career. She also took an interest in film while attending.

After that, she went to work for “corporate America.” Burke said she found it difficult to put her shoes on in the morning — that’s when she discovered she wanted to pursue a different career.

She became a graduate student in educational psychology, where she developed a sense of self and described herself as more empathetic. She was told to picture herself in her ideal life. She saw herself as a writer.

Burke decided to do what she was passionate about: writing crime mystery novels.

Burke described mystery writing as “poking your nose in secrets of dead people.” Crime writing is a lot of work, according to Burke, and authors always have to consider the imperfection in a crime in order to have the detective solve the case.

“Murder is unique as a crime because it abolishes the victims,” Burke said.

Burke’s first novel, “Goodnight Irene,” streamed many sequels that followed. It was nominated for the Anthony and Agatha Award for Best First Novel.

Since her “Irene” series, Burke has combined crime fiction and forensic science in “The Messenger.” The story features a character named Tyler, who hears the final thoughts of the dying and passes their last messages on to their loved ones.

“It’s a supernatural thriller, not a mystery,” Burke said.

Burke also discussed The Crime Lab Project. She talked about how crime labs are underfunded and are not fully staffed.

Any doctor is able to be a medical examiner in a crime case. Very few doctors are trained as forensic pathologists and only 42 people were certified last year, according to Burke. An autopsy coroner, an examiner responsible for investigating deaths, is not required to have any forensic training. Burke identified this as a problem.

The Crime Lab Project is a nonprofit organization started by writers and producers to increase awareness of the problems forensic science agencies face. They seek support for crime labs, medical and coroner offices, public agencies, and forensic science education and research.

“We are trying to make people aware that it is not CSI out there,” Burke said.

After the lecture, Burke sat down and signed books for alumni and students.

Nicole Kamai, a junior English major, said she is still deciding on whether to be a crime writer and found the lecture enlightening.

Burke said she enjoys being a crime writer because she loves the genre.

“I get to take a look at society and explore questions about it,” Burke said. “It gives people a place of sense and time.”

Burke said she plans to continue “The Messenger” in a series. In addition, she is also working on another “Irene” novel, which she said should be completed by late 2010.