CSULB to receive $1.85M in federal funding

Cal State Long Beach will receive $1.85 million in federal funds to provide additional course sections and classes for students during the upcoming winter and spring terms.

According to a press release, the California State University system was granted a one-time $77.5 million federal allocation to help meet its payroll. The CSU will then be able to use other funding toward course sections instead of employee salaries. The federal funds need to be spent during the 2009-10 budget year.

“We hope this will provide some relief for students who have had difficulty enrolling in an adequate number of classes, as well as help students make progress toward their degree,” CSU Chancellor Charles B. Reed said in a press release.

Reed said the additional classes will also allow the CSU to keep more lecturers for its upcoming winter and spring terms.

However, Mary Stephens, vice president of administration and finance, said she does not know when the campus will receive its share of the funds. The number of courses to be added for winter and spring is also unknown at this time.

Rick Gloady, director of CSULB media relations, said the sum of money CSULB received “is a proportional sum compared to the other CSUs.”

According to the Californian, Fresno State will save $1.4 million in class and job cuts in spring due to federal stimulus money, while CSU Monterey Bay will receive $500,000 in aid and add more than 60 classes next semester. Cal State Fullerton will add 264 courses and rehire some lecturers this spring after receiving its share of $1.6 million in federal stimulus money, according to the Orange County Register.

Erik Fallis, media relations specialist for the CSU Office of the Chancellor, said the CSU will hold onto the rest of the money in the face of an uncertain fiscal future.

“The use of the remaining funds will be determined using the same criteria to serve as many students as possible and preserving as many jobs as possible while maintaining academic quality and fiscal balance,” Fallis said in an e-mail.

This article was last updated Nov. 1 at 3:55 p.m.