Campus swine flu vaccines now open to all under 24

Any student under the age of 24 may now be vaccinated for the swine flu in the Student Health Center. Vaccines will continue to be distributed Wednesday from 1-5 p.m., or for as long as supplies last.

The last H1N1 virus vaccination clinic was open only to specified priority groups. Michael Carbuto, director of Student Health Services, said the clinic would open to all students should there be extra vaccines. There are currently 700 vaccines left from last week’s 2,300 doses.

This second vaccination clinic opened on Monday, and Wednesday is the last day.

“We’re hoping to finish the vaccine by tomorrow,” Carbuto said. “We’d like to have it all gone so we can immunize as much people as possible.”

In addition to getting vaccinated, there are simple steps that can help prevent the flu. Carbuto recommended that students distance themselves from sick people, which can be difficult in classrooms, buses or other confined areas.

It is also helpful to practice good hand-washing techniques and to wipe down surfaces like desks and keyboards with antibacterial wipes. Many people also use paper towels to open bathroom doors after washing their hands.

Carbuto said it is important to prevent the flu before it spreads.

“Prevent it yourself,” Carbuto said. “If you’re coughing, stay home.”

As more people become aware of the vaccine, the lines are lengthening in the Student Health Center. Still, the average wait time is 20 minutes, making the lines shorter than those at other clinics, Carbuto said.

The Student Health Center is not expecting to receive any more doses of the H1N1 vaccine. Should more doses become available, the Long Beach Health and Human Services will send them to the Student Health Center, according to Carbuto.

“Hopefully next semester, things will calm down and we’ll have other things to worry about besides the flu,” Carbuto said.