Services limited during 1st week of winter session

Students attending winter session will find a host of services available to them in January, despite the fact that many of the operational staff will be absent due to furlough days.

The furlough days will take place during the first four days of winter session. About 20 staff members of the College of Continuing and Professional Education (CCPE) will be on hand to assist students with whatever they may need during these four days.

However, CCPE Enrollment Services and Student Financial Aid will be closed. In addition, the parking office will have two staff members on duty to issue parking; staff from Brotman Hall will be present to assist students; and classrooms will be open despite a limited number of facility service staff. The library will be also closed during the furlough days and the only available food service will be The Nugget.

Instructors will be present during the first week, as they are not subject to staff furloughs.

“There will be a whole host of services available to our students,” CCPE Marketing Communications Director Rick Schank said. He encouraged students to attend winter session and other special sessions in order to speed up their academic careers.

“They are getting that much closer to graduation,” Schank said. “With budget cuts now, students might not get the classes they need during regular fall and spring semesters.”

The CCPE director of academic programs, Leticia Rodriguez, will be manning a table inside the University Library near Starbucks on Dec. 8 and 9 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The table will also be there Dec. 15 and 16. Students are encouraged to stop by the table or visit the CCPE  Web site if they have any questions.