CSULB receives 71,000 undergraduate applications for fall 2010

Cal State Long Beach received the most undergraduate applications of the 23 California State University campuses for the fall 2010 semester.

At 69,656 prospective students, the university also broke its own record for the number of applicants. Including international students, the applications top 71,000.

Of those students, however, only 5,500 will attend be chosen to CSULB next fall, President F. King Alexander said in a press release. CSULB is looking to reduce its enrollment for the 2010-11 year by 3,044 full-time students.

CSULB received 47,683 first-time freshman applications, an increase from last year by 2,000. Transfer applicants also increased from 14,785 to 21,973, according to the press release.

The CSU system also made a record: 609,000 undergraduate applications, an increase of about 2,000 from last year, during the priority application period, which lasted from Oct. 1 to Nov. 30. Last year, six campuses stopped accepting applications at the end of this period, compared to 14 this year, according to Inside Higher Ed.

Inside Higher Ed also reported that two-thirds of CSU applicants were accepted last year. Also, six campuses were impacted. This year, there are 12.

According to an e-mail sent to Academic Senate faculty from Chair Praveen Soni, CSU freshman applicants applied to an average of 2.8 colleges and universities, compared to 2.7 institutions last year. Transfer applicants went from 1.7 to two colleges.