CSULB distributes its share of federal funding

With $3.7 million allocated to Cal State Long Beach in recent federal funding to the California State University system, $2.8 million will be spent on classes, according to David Dowell, CSULB vice provost and director of strategic planning.

Student fees will not be affected by the funds.

The rest of the funds, about $1 million, will be invested in student support functions, such as advising. More lecturers will also be added next fall, Dowell said.

“If this is where we land, we would get about 500 sections from the funding, in addition, of course, to what we otherwise would have in the schedule. This would be great for students and for faculty,” Dowell said via e-mail.

According to Mary Stephens, CSULB vice president of administration and finance, the money, is a one-time allotment.

“Once it’s gone, it’s gone,” she said.

She added “We’ll focus on courses students need to progress for a major. We will make sure that those are added.”

The funding used for classes will be spread through many departments depending on which ones are identified as crucial for students, Dowell said.

As for furloughs, there is no anticipation for any this fall, according to Dowell.

He said, “We do not currently expect furloughs next year but it is out of our control either way,” he said. Furloughs are decided by CSU faculty and staff unions.