Speakers encourage students to ‘realize the dreams we are living in’

Africana studies professor Erylene Piper-Mandy told a fictional story about how a man was raising chickens, but one was black. He took that chicken aside and had him jump from a roof, then from a hill, and finally from a mountain. The chicken managed to fly, and it found a home among eagles.

Around 200 students gathered to hear the story at the Speaker’s Platform on Thursday in honor of Black History Month and Martin Luther King Jr.

Cal State Long Beach celebrated Black History Month by hosting a Martin Luther King Jr. celebration on Thursday.

Already in its 11th anniversary, a campus volunteer committee set up the event at the Speaker’s Platform by the bookstore from noon to 1 p.m. This year’s theme, “King on Education,” united King’s dream with the importance of equal educational opportunity.

Various departments, such as the Multicultural Center, Career Development Center and the University Library, participated in a resource fair near the platform from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. A table displaying library books about King was also available to help students understand the context of what they were listening to, whether it was gospel music, poetry or the spoken word.

A class from Hill Middle School attended the event after taking a tour on the campus.

To start, CSULB Gospel Choir sang the Black National Anthem written by James Weldon Johnson.

Then, Pamela Ashe, a psychologist at Counseling and Psychological Services, gave a memorial speech about a counselor in the same department, Louis Preston, who recently died.

CSULB President F. King Alexander then explained that education is the most important initiative.

“We are setting new precedents and showing all of those who fell for us [in the 1960s] that they were right: Schools don’t have to be segregated,” Alexander said.

The choir returned to the podium to sing a fast-paced song “Looking for You,” encouraging the audience to dance to the rhythm.

Next, James Sauceda, director of the Multicultural Center, explained that King is “the practice of peace in our bloodstream.” The speech stirred the crowd in a powerful momentum.

“Part of Dr. King’s wise leadership was to never underestimate the empowering potential of students,” Sauceda added.

Three CSULB students also gave speeches at the event.

Associated Students Inc. President Chris Chavez tied in the importance of diversity with education.

“It is only through education that we will reach equality,” Chavez said.

Avis Atkins, vice president of the Black Scholars Student Association, encouraged CSULB students to stay motivated to earn the education they deserve, no matter what they see or hear.

“We are prone to let our mental images of life become invaded by half truths and propaganda,” Atkins said. “Education must enable us to weigh the evidence and to discern the truth from the false.”

CSULB student Alejandro Hinojosa described the various resources available on campus and encouraged students to use them to overcome hardships and plan for the future.

Then, Dominic McDonald, also known as the LB Slam Poet, gave his creative take on pursuing goals.

“Realize the dreams we are living in and fly,” McDonald said. “Unemployment rates may be high, but our work is never over.”

Piper-Mandy gave the last speech, applying King’s five basic principles of equality to education.

“Suffering prepared the oppressed to liberate in society,” Piper-Mandy said, explaining the principles. “It is a moral right to challenge any unjust law in pursuit of justice. It is immoral to collaborate in one’s own oppression. Religion has social justice and a spiritual component. Lastly, the human spirit is perfected through struggle.”

To conclude the event, American Indian studies professor Craig Stone led a community drum performance while singing words of encouragement about continuing education during difficult times.

Regarding the overall turnout at the event, Chavez said he is “extraordinarily happy.”

“The Hill Middle School students stressed the importance of what this [month] is about,” he continued. “I think we set a tone for how to celebrate Black History Month.”