Floridian heads to west coast to become new dean

Kenneth Millar of Florida Gulf Coast University is packing his bags and heading to the west coast.

For now, he’s preparing for his position as the new dean of the College of Health and Human Services at Cal State Long Beach beginning in June.

Millar spent the first 20 years of his life in Montreal, Canada, where he earned his undergraduate degree at Sir George Williams University and experienced social work volunteering for the first time. Afterward, he graduated with his master’s in social work from the University of British Columbia and received his doctorate in social work at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.

At FGCU, Millar was the dean of the College of Professional Studies. He has also worked at Aurora University, Louisiana State University, University of Arkansas and Laurentian University in Ontario, Canada.

Millar said he chose Cal State Long Beach because “the setting is attractive [and] Long Beach is a good place to work and live,” adding that the faculty are well-grounded.

He plans to focus on the nursing and physical therapy departments, where negotiations of adding a doctorate program are being made. He said the challenge lies in admitting students if they don’t have the credentials.

Miller gained his knowledge and skills in health-care administration from Aurora University and experience in criminal justice and hotel public administration from his time in Florida.

“I believe my whole professional career has prepared me for this,” Millar said.

According to CSULB Provost Donald Para, a national survey was conducted and Millar was one of the four finalists. The interviews took place Nov. 16 and 17.

Millar “is very personal and open, and has a history of being cooperative,” Para said.

He will replace acting dean Dixie Grimmett, according to the chair of the search committee, Wendy Reiboldt. Former dean Ron Vogel left CSULB in 2009 to become the Cal State Dominguez Hills provost.

“I liked his enthusiasm. He’s going to bring a lot of energy,” Reiboldt said. “The good thing about Ken Millar is he wanted to be here.”

Millar’s immediate responsibilities will include overseeing the CHHS and its departments. He will be in charge of the day-to-day operations and will report to the CSULB provost.

According to Reiboldt, Millar will be required to visit CSULB several times between March and May to ensure that he is up to speed with the responsibilities his job will entail.

“This is a great loss for the College of Professional Studies, yet I am sure it is a gain for him,” said FGCU social work assistant professor Scott Anstadt, via e-mail. “He will be remembered as an advocate for faculty, especially regarding creativity in pedagogy and a true respect for service learning in community key grass roots and empowerment efforts.”

Millar does not know how long he’ll stay at CSULB.

“That could be a decade … could be 50 years. I don’t know,” he said. “I like doing this [and] I plan to finish my career at Cal State Long Beach.”

When he’s not in his office, Millar regularly works out and enjoys swimming and biking. He takes an interest in hockey and curling.