USU 1st floor to be completely open after spring break

Students can once again enjoy a quick game of pool and bowling or spend time in the TV lounge on the first floor of the University Student Union, which has been partially repaired and re-opened this week. The rest of the floor is scheduled to open shortly after spring break, ASI discussed at its March 25 meeting.

The game center will also be upgraded to have video game consoles, including PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Video games will cost students $5 per hour.

“The video game consoles will be hidden away in an area staff has access to,” said ASI President Chris Chavez. “Students can rent out a platform, paid by the hour, and staff will go behind the scenes and load up the game.”

Other construction news included the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, which is on schedule for its August 2010 completion. A sign-up and informational campaign will begin after spring break, and the grand opening is scheduled for early September.

Additionally, ASI approved a resolution to support making Cal State Long Beach and its surrounding areas a safer place for bicyclists.

“We all use the streets and regardless of whether or not we drive to school, the streets are a place that exist within our community to use and enjoy,” said geography major Kevin Flaherty. “There is a need for a voice on campus for pedestrians and bicyclists.”

The resolution in support of “Iron Triangle” access sponsored by Senator for the College of Engineering David Stout asks for repairs to the area surrounding campus, filling potholes and smoothing sidewalk cracks. It also suggests posting signs to alert drivers of bicyclists in the streets.

“[Long Beach] wants to be a place that is optimistic, local and authentic,” said Charles Gandy, mobility coordinator for the city of Long Beach. “We see the bicycle as a symbol of quality of life, a symbol of a great beach town in which to live and a symbol of what the creative class is looking for when they are thinking about an urban lifestyle that does not revolve around automobiles exclusively.”

Sixth, 10th and 15th streets will be considered for redevelopment into bike-friendly “bicycle boulevards” and there will be city-arranged public education on safe cycling.