Documentary explores creativity

A preview screening of David Lynch’s “Catching the Big Fish: Part II” will show students the process of becoming creative human beings through transcendental meditation.

The documentary, showing April 27 at Cal State Long Beach’s University Theatre, will have two free screenings at 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. The documentary features Lynch’s 18-country tour on meditation, creativity, and consciousness at film schools throughout Europe, Israel, and Brazil. Lynch first published his book “Catching The Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity” in 2007 where he discusses his personal experiences through meditation.

Prashanth Ramasamy, president of the Transcendental Meditation Club, said most students are limited in enjoying life because they are confined to small activities, such as going to school, attending lectures and going home. He said with transcendental meditation, students are able to access a deeper level of consciousness and achieve a better life altogether.

“We all have different angles of stress and we are subjective to that. However, practicing the meditation process will make you more peaceful, patient and corrective throughout the day,” Ramasamy said. “Practicing deeper levels of the mind will recharge the brain.”

Erin Skipper, outreach director of the David Lynch Foundation Television, said when students expand their consciousness, they think more clearly and find it easier to enjoy the process of school. They develop a full creative expression with deeper levels of the self and mind.

“The transcendental meditation naturally relieves and eliminates stress in which students are able to enhance their creativity and mental potential,” Skipper said.

According to Lynch, ideas are like fish. If you want to catch little fish, you can stay in the shallow water. But if you want to catch the big fish, you’ve got to go deeper.

The more your consciousness and awareness is expanded, the deeper you go toward this source, and the bigger the fish you can catch.

“The documentary opens students’ mind toward a positive field of life,” Ramasamy said. “Students can build the framework of meditation, consciousness and creativity through meditation. Meditation is a natural process to not only develop yourself, but to create and transform world peace.”

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.