City council debates on campus

A debate between two run-off candidates for city council of the 7th district of Long Beach was hosted in the University Student Union Ballrooms on Monday from 11 a.m. to noon.

Assistant City Auditor James Johnson and Incumbent Tonia Reyes Uranga both ran for city council in April but are now competing in a run-off election. In April, Johnson received the most votes, but failed to get the majority vote of more than 50 percent of his constituents.

Uranga has served as a city council member for the 7th district for two terms and was removed from the ballot in April because incumbents who wish to serve a third term may only do so after receiving enough votes to be a write-in candidate.

Johnson and Uranga were asked to address issues such as the city budget, crime, the proposed Wetlands Land Exchange that would preserve the Cerritos Wetlands, and plans for building a hotel on Pacific Coast Highway and Second Street during the debate.

Johnson suggested keeping the budget in mind when fighting crime.

“We need to bring revenue in alignment with our spending,” Johnson said, adding that allocating money for safety would be his approach.

Uranga said the city’s budget deficit was brought down from $108 million to $10 million during her time in office. She also said there is a need for an additional police academy in Long Beach.

“[We] need to have another police academy to have more boots on the street,” Uranga said.

Regarding the proposed Wetlands Land Exchange, Uranga said the swap would be difficult because it would include trading public property for private property.

Johnson said he would want to understand the value of the land involved before he took a position on the swap.

Uranga said she is opposed to building a hotel at the corner of Pacific Coast Highway and Second Street, but acknowledged the need for a nicer structure there since the intersection is a significant entry point into Long Beach.

Uranga also said the hotel would bring a “tremendous amount of traffic [into Long Beach] and is visually not acceptable.”

Johnson said that he planned to make sure whatever development goes there is good for Long Beach.

If elected, Johnson said that he would vacate his position as assistant city auditor, taking a pay cut of approximately $50,000.

CSULB Finance Professor Arthur Levine moderated the debate.

CSULB is located in the 3rd district, which is currently represented by Councilmember Gary DeLong.