CSULB ‘Dad & Grad’ compete on Wheel of Fortune

Cal State Long Beach student Rachel Gibbs and her father, Paul, competed on Wheel of Fortune’s “Dads & Grads” Week, which will air on the American Broadcasting Company May 20 at 7:30 p.m.

“Dads & Grads” week began as a way to acknowledge graduations taking place this time of year, according to Ani Amirkhanian, Wheel of Fortune publicity coordinator.

“It’s basically a way for fathers and their children to come on the show and illustrate that there is that special bond between father’s and their children,” Amirkhanian said.

Gibbs, a senior psychology major graduating in May, said she enjoyed competing alongside her father.

“It was fun to be a team with him.” Gibbs said. “As you get older, you don’t work with your parents as much.”

Gibbs, who currently works as a banker at Wells Fargo, plans on obtaining her master’s degree and eventually becoming a sex therapist. She decided to compete on the show in hopes of winning extra funding as she works toward her degree.

“I wanted to win some money to pay my credit card debt and I thought it would be fun to do it with my dad,” Gibbs said.

Gibbs said that before competing on the show, she and her father were fans of the show and would practice to ensure they competed to their fullest potential.

“We would watch the show every night and decided beforehand who would call out the letters,” Gibbs said.

Over all, Gibbs said she is glad she received the opportunity to compete on the show “and win such cool stuff.”

“[Competing on the show] was a blast — so surreal, so fun,” she said.

Wheel of Fortune’s “Dads & Grads” week allows college and high school graduating seniors to compete on the show. Gibbs competed against two other teams — Albert and Christina Lara from Burbank and Glenn and Caitlin Nadalet from Redlands, both high school graduates.