Marijuana busts on the rise

Harsh toke for repeat offender

One dorm student was reported for marijuana possession on Aug. 28, 29 and 30 at the Residential Learning College, according to Captain Fernando Solorzano. On Aug. 28, he was cited for possessing less than an ounce, a misdemeanor, and then reported to the Office of Judicial Affairs. On Aug. 29, police found marijuana in his already opened room. Since the student was not there, no report was filed. On Aug. 30, he was again cited for less than an ounce of marijuana and reported to judicial affairs.

The Office of Judicial Affairs refers students who are caught with marijuana to the Student Health Services. Students must attend a workshop and a one-on-one counseling session for the first two alcohol, marijuana or other drug offenses. Upon third offense, students will be removed from the dorms and the Office of Judicial Affairs will decide whether the student should be suspended for one year or expelled from the Cal State University system.

Drugs and weapons

A dorm student in Parkside Commons building P was reported for smoking marijuana in his room. Police cited the student for residue inside marijuana paraphernalia and arrested him for possessing an object Cal State Long Beach regulations considered a weapon, according to Solorzano. The Long Beach Police Department immediately released the student after he was cited.

Beach hall smokers busted

Staff at the Residential Learning College reported several students smoking marijuana in the Beach hall room. According to Solorzano, University Police cited three individuals separately for possessing less than an ounce of marijuana. Of those three, one was a student who was also reported to the Office of Judicial Affairs. Two other students were reported to judicial affairs, but were not cited for possessing marijuana.

It might get loud

Two CSULB fraternity parties were reported to the LBPD for being too loud. Once they realized the events were CSULB-related, UPD was called. UPD, then, issued a total of five student citations for both parties. According to Solorzano, students may be cited for off-campus behavior if it is “inappropriate.”

Buzz on stolen chainsaw

An unknown suspect stole a chainsaw from a grounds management GMC truck in the facility courtyard near the University Police Department, according to Solorzano. The chainsaw was valued at $600. The suspect is unknown. The case has been forwarded to investigations.

Student drivers

Several vehicle incidents were reported on campus during the first week of school. According to Solorzano, a female, non-student was struck by a vehicle near the bus station at the Language Arts 5 building on Sept. 1, according to Solorzano. The driver stopped for the female who was later transported by her family to a local hospital.

A passenger, rear-door window was smashed in Lot 14A with no evidence as to how it was broken on Sept. 1, Solorzano said. No items were reported stolen, but the window replacement cost under $400.

Another vehicle was scratched by an unknown tool in Parking Structure 2 on Aug. 31. One line was etched across the right side fender, front door and rear door, Solorzano said.

Dude where’s my car

During the first week of school, 21 lost vehicle reports were taken, according to the University Police activity log. “Lots of students get stressed and forget where they parked,” Solorzano said. “Most occur in parking structures.” University Police as well as parking officers assist in finding the lost vehicles by noting the vehicle description. It usually takes 10 minutes to find, Solorzano said. Mostly women have called in, worried that there car was stolen, he added.