Week of Welcome to involve students on campus

Student groups will be out in full swing this week as part of the Cal State Long Beach Week of Welcome.

Designed to involve students in campus activities outside the classroom, the week-long event features recruiting from clubs, as well as speakers, music and games.

“Our main goal is to get students involved and let them find their niche,” said Kimberly Helm, Associated Students, Inc.’s chief programming officer. “Hopefully students can find what they’re looking for. Research shows the more campus involvement students have, they will stay longer and graduate.”

Week of Welcome started today with an Associated Students, Inc. information day from noon to 3 p.m. on the Southwest Terrace of the University Student Union.

More than 100 student groups– from clubs to sports teams to Greek organizations– will line Friendship Walk from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today and tomorrow in hopes of recruiting new members.

Week of Welcome then culminates in Friday night’s Smorgasport, which will treat students to free food, games and music in the USU Game Center, Parking Lot 3 and Goldmine Gym.

“It’s really energetic and really fun and lively,” said Christina Esparza, ASI communications coordinator. “That’s the point– to say, ‘We’re not just a commuter campus, there’s something for everybody and it’s fun.'”

Esparza said last year the event drew more than 3,000 students. Smorgasport takes place Friday from 8 p.m. to midnight.