CSULB students awarded Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholarship

The California State University system and Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholarship granted 70 students with awards this year — nine of which were from CSULB.

With around 2,000 faculty members on campus, Cal State Long Beach is like the hand that feeds its growing student population and their increasing tuition. For CSULB to do so, it must make sure that enough faculty are on board to keep students on the right career path.

The scholarship provides hands-on training in specific field choices.

“One of the most unique features of the Pre-Doctoral Program is the opportunity it provides to students to participate in an intensive, fully-funded summer research internship program at a University of California campus or at another doctoral granting institution,” director of the California pre-doctoral program Dr. Anastasios Chassiakos said.

CSULB students Jaime Alvarez, Jinaé Bartlett, Kimberly Felix, Daisy Flores, Andrew Kretz, Ruth Rubio Rodriguez, Erendira Aldana, Khuyen Nguyen and Melissa Bernardino received $3,000 from the doctoral program. In addition, a mentor will provide them with the material and knowledge to earn a doctoral degree.

“It also helps out with the social capital I need when applying for the program,” sophomore education major Andrew Kretz said.

To qualify, students must be pursuing a university faculty profession, sponsored by a faculty staff member and economically and educationally disadvantaged.

“Growing up in an immigrant family, not much was expected of me other than to find a decent job that paid well,” senior cognitive psychology major Khuyen Nguyen said. “Both my parents had an education level equivalent to a high school diploma, so they didn’t know much about grad school. They’re ecstatic that I’m even going to college!”

The scholarship program has been around since 1989. It was named after the late Dr. Sally Casanova, who encouraged many students to obtain doctoral degrees throughout her career.

The Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholarship has been impacting the lives of many students and it has paid off well.

“Over the years, [the scholarship] has helped scores of academically promising undergraduates and master’s candidates become strong candidates for doctoral programs,” said Dr. Cecile Lindsay, vice provost for academic affairs and dean of graduate studies.

Like the CSU system’s motto that says, “Working for California,” many of its scholars will be working for their university shortly after their graduation.