ASI senator presents resolution addressing Union Weekly article

Sen. Roxanna Gracia presented her resolution at the Associated Students, Inc. meeting Wednesday to address an article in the Union Weekly’s third issue.

The feature, “How to Get Laid: A Girls’ Guide for Guys,” promotes sexual violence, according to Gracia. One part of the article said, “When you get to her place just get to the fucking no dilly dallying, you don’t want to give her time to really think about it. Don’t be afraid to be aggressive.”

Her resolution entitled “Resolution Promoting Safety and Equality for the CSULB University Community” was presented to ASI as an informational item for senators to discuss. The Senate will vote on the resolution next week.

ASI has put forth similar resolutions in the past. Previous resolutions addressed violence against the LGBT community and culturally sensitive activity last year.

Sen. Collen Adame, a sponsor for the resolution, said, “The title of the resolution is misleading. This resolution is pinpointed to the issue of violence against women.”

Senators requested changes to wording of the resolution so it will be different from ones that addressed violence in the past.

One senator said he hoped ASI gets beyond anti-hate resolutions.

Sen. Joseph Komenda said, “Every year we write one of these things saying you shouldn’t hate each other kind of thing. Hopefully one day we can stop writing these resolutions and go onto bigger things.”

Vice President Lucy Nguyen predicted that the wording of the resolution will go through many changes before being presented for a vote next week.

If the resolution passes, ASI will note that it disapproves of any “student organization, campus activities, or the university community promoting, participating, or condoning crimes of violence on any member of our university.”