ASI makes its last effort to gain student voters

Associated Students, Inc. is clearing its last hurdle in the race to register more voters than Cal State Fullerton by Oct. 18.

ASI will register students Oct. 18 during “Get the Vote Out.” The event will take place at 11:30 a.m. in the central quad of the University Student Union.

There will be nine tables available for students to register, in addition to food, music and giveaways.

While the only prize for registering the most students thus far is bragging rights, the student presidents have promised to reveal something to the winning school at the first basketball game between Cal State Long Beach and Fullerton.

According to Christina Esparza, communications coordinator for Associated Students, Inc. at CSULB, the project developed when the student presidents met at a statewide leadership institute over the summer. The two began talking about the importance of registering and voting. They concluded to engage in a friendly competition to get their students registered.

On Oct. 7, ASI offered a free Subway lunch to the first 100 students that registered to vote on the southwest terrace of the University Student Union.

“It went wonderfully, but we’re still pushing for more. We currently have a little less than 1,000,” Esparza said.

Fullerton claims to have 1,100.