University Police offer tips on theft prevention

Preventing theft before it happens can help people financially, and sometimes emotionally.

Since the start of the semester, there have been four vehicle burglaries.

“We’re seeing a variety of things being stolen,” University Police Capt. Fernando Solorzano said. “Things such as MacBooks, purses and stereos.”

Junior journalism major Denise Bender parks her car at the Residential Learning College, where she lives. She said she is still conscientious about her possessions.

“I always make sure not to leave anything valuable in my car,” Bender said. “When I do, I put it in the glove box or center console to hide it from view.”

According to Solorzano, vehicle thefts primarily occur in the parking structures. “But it doesn’t mean it can’t happen anywhere else,” he said.

Solorzano said students should never leave anything valuable in their car, if they do try to hide it from sight.

“The trunk is a great place,” Bender said. “It’s the most secure place to leave something in your car.”

Bikes have also been an issue on campus. Since the beginning of 2010, 85 bikes have been stolen.

Cable locks are thought to be less effective because the cable that connects the bike to the rack can be cut.

“We’re seeing that the bikes being stolen were used with a cable lock, which is not secure,” Solorzano said. “Invest in a good lock.”

Shawn Liam, junior graphic design and computer science major explained how he protects his bike.

“I use a U-Lock, which has a metal bar shaped like a U,” Liam said. “It’s better than a cable lock because it can’t be cut.”

Liam recommended that fellow bike-riders park their bike where there are people around, and not in an isolated area.

“Don’t lock it to something unstable such as a tree or fence. Make sure to use the racks,” he said. “And lastly, make sure you lock the proper part of the bike — not the wheel, but the frame of the bike.”

The police department helps students secure their bikes through a registration program, according to Solorzano.

In the program, students register their bikes and receive a registration sticker with a number on it, which correlates to their bike’s serial number. It’s entered into a database, and if the bike is ever stolen, it is flagged in the system. The program is free for students and is offered throughout the year.

Solorzano said, “The chances of finding your bike are much better than if your bike is not registered.”