CSULB students rally for Prop 19

Cal State Long Beach students gathered Tuesday to rally for Proposition 19 at the Speaker’s Platform, beside a large, colorful banner adorned with drawings of cannabis leaves that read “Legalize Marijuana!”

Proposition 19, also known as Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010, would make it legal for a person more than 21 years old to possess, cultivate or transport up to an ounce of marijuana. It will also allow local governments to regulate and tax the commercial sale of marijuana.

The rally started with speeches from the event’s organizers before it opened the floor for students’ comments or questions. Heads turned as students walked by the rally, some snickering at the subject, while Dave Wrathrall, a CSULB student and organizer of the event, gave a historical account of marijuana in the United States. He said that in 1619, farmers were required to grow cannabis because of the multiple uses that hemp supplied.

Though Proposition 19 has been falling behind in recent polls, organizer and history graduate student Tim Lawnicki said that those numbers could be skewed. He said that many of the recent polls were taken by telephone. With a stigma still surrounding the issue of marijuana, some voters were hesitant to admit they are in favor of the proposition when talking to a live pollster, Lawnicki said. But with the anonymity of the voting booth, people may feel more comfortable, he added.

Lawnicki also said that many young people who would possibly support Proposition 19 do not have landlines from which pollsters can contact them. He said that Proposition 19 is in the hands of the youth in California.

“It wouldn’t be possible without them,” Lawnicki said.

David Olson, the campus director of Los Angeles County Colleges for Yes on 19, has seen this youthful support first hand at various colleges around L.A. County.

“It is unbelievable how many people support Prop 19,” Olson said.

The rally caught the interest of one passing student, George Brietigum, a sophomore political science major. Not an avid user of marijuana himself, Brietigum said he supports Proposition 19, but feels its biggest opposition is the status quo.

“People are afraid of change and this is something that potentially can be very scary,” Brietigum said. “I don’t think anarchy and havoc will ensue, but a lot of people growing up with marijuana being illegal have that state of mind.”

U.S. Atty. Gen. Eric Holder said in a letter this month that the federal government will vigorously enforce federal drug laws whether Proposition 19 passes or not, meaning any individual or organization that possesses or distributes recreational marijuana will be a criminal in the eyes of the federal government.

Proponents of the proposition argue that it will bring in an estimated $1.4 billion of annual revenue from marijuana taxation, though this number is questionable because local governments are free to tax as much as they choose. There would be no uniform regulation statewide.

Beyond the numbers, Lawnicki said this is about basic human freedoms.

“It is insane for a government to lock up an adult for choosing to put what they want in their own body,” Lawnicki said.

Olson said students should make an educated and informed decision.

He said, “Open up your minds and vote for yourself.”