CSULB film students win praise, cash

Two Cal State Long Beach film students won multiple awards, totaling $2,500, at the 2010 CSU Media Arts Festival, which took place at Cal State Fullerton on Saturday.

CSULB had six finalists at the competition representing categories in animation, documentary, experimental, narrative and television. Jason Oppliger’s film entitled “You Cannot Learn How to Be Honest” won in the experimental category and also the title of Best in Show. Neil Corbin’s “Virus” won best documentary and audience choice.

The festival presents winners with Rosebud awards along with cash prizes of $500 to the winners in each category and $1,000 to the winner of Best in Show.

CSU faculty reviewed 131 student entries from 15 Cal State Universities and narrowed them down to 29 finalists. A panel of entertainment industry professionals then selected the winners for each category.

This year’s event also featured a keynote presentation by screenwriter Steve Oedekerk, whose works include “Bruce Almighty,” “Evan Almighty” and “Patch Adams,” among others. The students also had the opportunity to talk to industry professionals during a mixer before the screenings began.

The Media Arts Festival, presented by CSU Summer Arts, was established in 1991 as a way to give film students of the 23 CSU campuses a forum to present their work for critical review.