CSULB Child Development Center to host silent auction

Disneyland tickets, gift baskets, and a zipline party for 20 are among other certificates that will be up for bid at the Isabel Patterson Child Development Center’s annual silent auction Dec. 3.

The childcare center’s annual auction is just one of the events organized that helps supplement budget windfalls.

The auction will make “extra money for funding we’ve lost,” said Christina Limon-Lara, development coordinator for Associated Students Inc. “We always need extra funding for programs and staffing.”

The auction has been running annually since the 1980s and continues to draw support from the surrounding community and businesses. The Aquarium of the Pacific, In-N-Out, It’s a Grind and Go Kart World are just some of the vendors that are donating items, certificates or appetizers for auction participants.

“Generally speaking, we take in around $3,000,” said Liz Recendez, officer coordinator for the child development center.

One of the more unusual items up for auction is a zipline party at The Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center.

Many of the participants in the silent auction are parents of the children involved with the center.

“It’s a way for parents to get to know each other,” Recendez said.

However, parents aren’t the only ones who can get involved in the silent auction. Students can get participate by “encouraging people to donate items the following year,” Recendez said. “Basically, we send out letters and ask businesses and the community to donate. If people on-campus were more willing to donate, that would be really appreciated.”

In addition, Recendez said student musicians or tutors, who would be willing to donate their time, would also be welcomed.

The silent auction will be held at 5700 Atherton St., next to the recycling center. Walk-in bidding for the items will begin at 1 p.m., but the benefit begins at 5 p.m. Bidding will conclude at 6 p.m., and the event will end at 7 p.m.