Fewer dorm vacancies, students allowed to leave

Students may be able to leave the dorms at the end of this semester, depending on the amount of incoming students applying to live on campus.

Students who are graduating or leaving school are automatically allowed to request a mid-year leave.

Carol Roberts-Corb, director of Housing and Residential Life, said the majority of students who request to leave the dorms have reasons such as financial hardships, family emergencies, medical problems or other personal issues.

Students have to apply and present their case to officials from Housing and Residential Life, who review them and make a decision.

According to Roberts-Corb, it was more difficult to leave the dormitories last year because there were about 500 vacancies in the Resident Learning College. This year, there are 213 available dorms.

“We most likely will fill those spaces,” Roberts-Corb said. “We already have many applications from incoming students for the spring semester.”

With fewer vacancies and more students expected to apply, Housing and Residential Life can allow more students to leave the dorms if desired.

Roberts-Corb also mentioned that Housing and Residential Life’s mission to create a live and learn community, where faculty members who live in the dorms provide tutoring and advising to students, is succeeding and will continue next semester.

“Each faculty is required to have contact with residents for 10 hours a week,” Roberts-Corb said.

Six general education classes were also offered at the Residential Learning College this semester. According to Roberts-Corb, the classes are popular with students living in the dorms.

Tentatively, there will be five classes offered next semester, including political science, two composition classes and two critical thinking classes.

“Since we are requiring first-time freshmen to live in the dorms, we try to see how we can tailor our program to freshmen,” Roberts-Corb said. “We see which classes students need and we try to offer those courses.”