Garden mixer to advocate green actions

The first of a series of “Green Generation” mixers will be held Feb. 2 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. in the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden to showcase green ideas and bring together groups trying to promote sustainability at Cal State Long Beach.

The gathering, called “CSULB Environmental Projects: Past, Present and Future,” is a joint partnership with CSULB’s Student and Campus Sustainability Task Forces, other CSULB departments and the City of Long Beach.

“Departments are isolated and we are trying to change that,” said Donnie Bessom, a political science graduate student and lead organizer of the event.

He said the mixer, which will feature a series of speakers followed by a brainstorming session, was designed to showcase CSULB’s environmental projects and ideas and find ways to implement them. According to Bessom, the goal is to “synchronize curriculum with the actual needs of the city.”

During the brainstorming session, attendees will discuss a possible redesign of the public transportation system, a high-speed rail system and the installation of solar panels on the CSULB pyramid.

Bessom said they will also discuss implementing a “water dispenser system that will eliminate the need for bottled water, promote the use of reusable bottles, but still bring in income for the school — the way the current CSULB bottled water does.”

Bessom said he hopes ideas formulated in the mixer will eventually bring in much-needed money for the school.

He also said “students are attracted to [the mixer] because they can see the results.” All students are invited to attend the free event tomorrow at 4:30 in the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden.