Film, question-and-answer panel to address sexual issues

Sundance film “Lila Dit Ca” will be screened at Cal State Long Beach’s University Student Union ballroom today.

The movie tells the story of a shy inexperienced 19-year-old boy named Chimo who falls in love with Lila, a 16-year-old French girl, who has just moved into his hometown, a predominantly Arab ghetto.

As part of Sex Positive Week, the screening is one of many programs and events being held in an attempt to encourage and normalize open sexuality in all its forms.

The Feminist Organization Reclaiming Consciousness and Equality (FORCE) is sponsoring the event.

“We chose this movie because it combines a number of themes that are prominent in the feminist movement today such as sexual violence, what constitutes healthy sexuality and multicultural relations,” said Emily Munoz-Sydner, the president of FORCE.

Munoz-Syder said “Lila Dit Ca” successfully discussed both sex positivity and sexual violence at the same time, which is necessary in order to understand the complex role of sexuality in the world.

“The narrative of this movie may actually appear counter-productive to the mission of Sex Positive Week,” Munoz-Snyder said. “But what we hope for it to spark is an important discussion: Is a sex positive attitude important or even possible in a world of sexual violence?”

The “Lila Dit Ca” main character Lila embraces her sexuality in a direct and provocative way and shatters common notions of the power of an adolescent girl.

“She is overtly sexual, isn’t afraid of expression, and wants to articulate it in her own way,” said Karina Eileraas, a graduate student and professor at UCLA’s women’s studies department. “She distresses taboos in her own conduct, behavior and speech.”

Eileraas said the ultimate question is whether Lila’s attitude and expression empower her.

Chimo’s masculinity is questioned throughout the film, due to the fact that he is clearly comfortable in expressing his feelings, crossing the line between what’s appropriate in a world that believes a macho man to be of more worth.

Eileraas said she believes it’s important for students to watch this film because it analyzes a missing link in society’s view of sexuality.

“It responds to a missing discourse of female desire,” Eileraas said. “Deborah Thelman theorizes this absence as the defining feature of contemporary sex education and sexuality-related discourse.”

Eileraas will be present to talk with students during part of a question and answer forum following the film.

The screening will take place in the USU ballrooms, Room B at 3 p.m. Admission is free.