Moot court students take public speaking to the next level

The Cal State Long Beach moot court team spends countless hours preparing for competitions. They read numerous pages of case information and their professional attire is always at the scrutiny of their instructor, political science professor Lewis Ringel.

“If Dr. Ringel did not like my tie, he would rip his tie off so I could use it,” senior Mathew Gunte said.

Gunte said he has never learned so much in all four years of college than the two years he’s been in moot court.

Ringel diligently guided the CSULB moot court team to place in the top 16 at the 2011 American Collegiate Moot Court Association’s national finals at Tulane University School of Law in New Orleans last month.

There were 29 schools and 64 two-person teams at the tournament Jan. 15-16. Graduating seniors Gunte, Tim Appelbaum and Alexandra Lohman won individual awards.

“I called this team the LSAT eight because eight of my nine students took the LSAT (Law School Admission Test) and the fact they were able to do that and then get to nationals and do well, winning four times as many awards as we ever won before, was impressive,” Ringel said.

Moot court is a simulated court argument by competing teams. Each team is given a hypothetical case to argue before a panel of experienced judges, similar to real-life attorneys arguing in the California Supreme Court. Teams are graded on their professionalism, public speaking skills and knowledge of the case.

Appelbaum and Lohman made up the team from CSULB that reached the top 16.

“Practice makes permanent — the more you practice, the more consistent your results,” Applebaum said. “It’s nice to see this kind of program within an undergrad program because it really helps students whether they go into law or anything that involves public speaking.”

Lohman described Ringel as a sometimes intense instructor who cares about his students and presents them with the tools necessary to succeed.

“Dr. Ringel is the kind of professor who will read a case ten times and makes sure you know every detail,” Lohman said. “He can be assertive, but it’s because he cares about you and wants to see his students succeed. Even outside of moot court.”

Reema Abboud is a moot veteran of three years with an interest in entertainment and immigration law.

“You come out an expert, and learn to argue for both sides of an argument,” Abboud said. Abboud particularly enjoyed the travel opportunities to locations like Miami and New Orleans.

Those interested in moot court can contact Ringel at [email protected]. The application deadline is April 4.