Steady increase in flu symptoms reported

Student Health Services at Cal State Long Beach reported an increase in complaints of seasonal flu and influenza-like illnesses in the past weeks.

“This is typically the peak of the flu season,” said Dr. Michael Carbuto, CSULB’s director of Student Health Services.

He said there has been a modest but steady increase of those showing flu symptoms this semester. Carbuto also noted that the transmissibility of the flu is incredibly high at a college setting with confined living spaces, such as dorm rooms and packed lecture halls.

Journalism major Francisco Aguirre was one of the many college students showing flu-like symptoms. Aguirre, whose symptoms included headaches, a fever and body aches, said that he thinks many students who are feeling ill do not stay home because they don’t want to deal with the hassle of missed work, absent notes and make-up work. For many students like Aguirre, missing class is not an option.

However, Carbuto is asking college students with flu-like illnesses to stay away from classes and limit interactions with others.

“If students are sick, many times they feel like they’re forced to come to class,” Carbuto said. “I would advise them not to.”

California Department of Public Health’s Information Officer Dr. Ralph Montano addressed some of the precautionary measures college students can take to avoid getting sick during flu season.

“Health behavior practices such as drinking lots of water, getting enough rest, exercising and washing your hands thoroughly can really decrease the chances of catching the flu,” Montano said.

In an attempt to limit germ transmission, Montano also said students should try to cough or sneeze into their elbows.

As part of a hand-hygiene procedure, Carbuto said alcohol-gel hand sanitizers have also been installed in different areas around campus to attempt to reduce infections.

“It is important that students protect themselves and others from the flu,” Carbuto said.

Carbuto said the flu is distinguishable from a common cold due to muscle aches. The flu, if not properly treated, can also last a lot longer than the common cold.

While these safety measures aid in mitigating the spread of the flu, according to health officials, the most important step in protecting against the flu virus is the flu vaccine. Montano recommends that every college student get vaccinated primarily because young people 6 months to 24 years old are among the groups more susceptible to the flu virus.

Some students go without the shot because of the misconception that the shot will make them sick.

“It’s definitely a myth,” Montano said. “The vaccine is the most effective way to prevent the flu.”

CSULB’s Student Health Services is offering $15 flu shots for students and faculty. No appointment is necessary. Vaccine clinics are held every Monday and Tuesday from 9-11 a.m. in Student Health Center, Room 118.