Harambee celebrates African cultures

“There is always someone, someplace who does not have what you have,” said the storyteller Onochie, as he poignantly unraveled the “bees and honey” folktale at the University Student Union Council’s inaugural Harambee at the USU south terrace on Tuesday.

The Cal State Long Beach event, named after the Kenyan tradition for self-help events, closed Black History Month on an enriching note with performances, music and culture.

“We needed some type of event for the campus community for Black History Month,” said Ebonee Carter, Long Beach Leader president and Harambee event organizer.

The CSULB Gospel Choir circled around the platform and sang in acapella with falsettos and vibrato that even engaged the crowds that railed along the Alamo walkways.

The African Dance Drum department’s percussionist trio provided ethnic tradition and stimulating beats that called attention with their West African instruments such as the hand drum djembre.

Phi Beta Sigma, Alpha Kappa Alpha and other National Pan-Hellenic Greek Council organizations were present to support the event, and gave a sample of their clear-cut step dance for their upcoming March showcase.

Soon the empty platform made room for open mic, in which students eagerly took to the stage and spilled their innermost thoughts, culture and raw emotion as they presented def poetry.

The event was open to all students, and many participated and watched.

“I wish the event was advertised more because the performances and food were cultural and insightful,” junior communications major Elijah Monzon said.

A free raffle concluded the event with hip-hop shirt, calendar and poster giveaways.

As a few green, gold, red, orange and black balloons floated around the area reflecting Pan-African colors on a smaller scale, the entire Harambee event energized CSULB students.

“[Harambee was] filled with lots of talent, and it embraced the African American history so well it even got diverse volunteers participating,” junior psychology major Andrea Farase said.