Students ask store for sweatshop-free merch

The International Studies Student Association (ISSA) has asked 49er Shops to purchase $250,000 worth of clothing from Alta Gracia Apparel, a Dominican-based company that aims to improve employee living conditions by paying them higher than average wages.

On Feb. 22, eight students representing ISSA delivered preliminary letters to Don Penrod, chief executive officer of 49er Shops, and Cal State Long Beach President F. King Alexander.

“Alta Gracia is important because it is the only factory in the world that supplies universities with living-wage, union-made apparel,” representative for Alta Gracia Gena Madow said via e-mail.

A living wage is defined as the amount of money it takes to feed and shelter a family. Often, it is higher than the country’s minimum wage.

Such is the case in the Dominican Republic, where Alta Gracia is based. The Caribbean country has an 84-cent minimum wage but a $2.83 living wage.

Alta Gracia workers are also allowed to unionize and the Worker Rights Consortium (WRC) is allowed frequent and unrestricted visits to the factory.

The apparel company pays its workers more and takes in less profit so the clothes can be sold at a price comparable to other brands. Alta Gracia, which translates into “exalted grace,” products are currently sold at more than 300 colleges across the country, but not at CSULB.

ISSA President and CSULB student Caitlin Dickerson said she believes that if the bookstore sold Alta Gracia Apparel, students would buy it.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for students to take a role in the international community,” Dickerson said. “It’s a chance to support the livelihood of working individuals who lack so many of the basics and opportunities that we have here.”

So far, Dickerson has not received a response from 49er Shops.

According to Director of communications for 49er Shops Rosa Hernandez-Henderson, the buyer for 49er Shops, Kristin Bonetti, is searching for vendors, including Alta Gracia, at the Collegiate Marketing Expo in Houston, Texas.

Hernandez-Henderson said that 49er Shops first learned of Alta Gracia about six months ago from a college forum.

“We’re learning more about Alta Gracia right now,” she said. “We’re doing our research like we would with any other vendor.”

However, Hernandez-Henderson said it’s too soon to tell if an order will be placed with Alta Gracia.

Students who are interested in learning more about Alta Gracia can attend a general meeting hosted by ISSA on March 8 at 5 p.m. in the Social Sciences/Public Administration building, Room 107. Workers from the Alta Gracia factory will answer student questions via Skype. Dickerson also said all students can attend a formal letter delivery on March 9 at 5 p.m.