ASI candidates to hold meet and greet

Associated Students Inc. is hosting two events this week to give students a chance to get to know the candidates running in the upcoming student election.

From noon to 2 p.m. Monday in the College of Business Administration walkway, all of the candidates will hold a “meet and greet” with students.

Tuesday from noon to 2 p.m. in the University Student Union, Room 205, the executive candidates will hold a forum.

The ASI elections will be held online March 21-24. Students vote annually on positions including ASI president, vice president and treasurer. The executive positions are paid through fellowships, and students receive tuition waivers and meal cards. Other positions on ASI recieve stipends each semester.

ASI leaders are in charge of heading campus committees and allocating student funds. ASI also runs the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, University Student Union, Recycling Center, Isabel Patterson Child Development Center and other student services.

Students will also vote on other issues, including a referendum to bring football back to Cal State Long Beach. The referendum requires an $86 per semester student fee, phased in over five years, the Daily 49er reported last month.

Even if the students vote for football, athletic director Vic Cegles told the Long Beach Press-Telegram the possibility of having a football team is “very, very, very, very unrealistic.”