Daily 49er, Dig take home California College Media Association honors

Students at the Daily 49er and Dig Magazine took home five awards at the California College Media Association competition March 5.

The winners were announced at CCMA’s annual banquet in Hollywood.

Dig Magazine placed third in the General Excellence category for the spring 2010 Music Issue.

Daily 49er editor in chief Alexandra Baird placed second for Best Non-Breaking News Story for her story on student government salaries at CSULB and all the Cal States. Kasia Hall placed third for Best Feature for “Searching for the American Dream,” a story about international students’ struggles to find employment. Amir Vafamanesh won third for Best Sports Feature for a story on Nadia Link, a star CSULB soccer player and new mom. Jenna Skarzenski won second place for Best Podcast.

The Daily 49er competed in Division A, against daily newspapers such as UCLA’s Daily Bruin and USC’s Daily Trojan.

The annual student media contest generates thousands of entries from colleges, universities and community colleges all over the state.