Thousands expected at CSULB Pow Wow

Thousands of people are expected to congregate at Cal State Long Beach’s central quad this weekend for the 41st annual CSULB Native American Pow Wow — the largest spring pow wow in Southern California.

The two-day multicultural event will take place from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday. Sunday’s events will also begin at 11 a.m., but will end at 7 p.m.

Spectators can enjoy American Indian dancing, arts, crafts and food.

The native food vendors will be selling contemporary and authentic foods, like mutton, Navajo tacos, indian burgers, beef stew and fry bread — a greasy treat that is considered by most Native American tribes to be a sacred tradition eaten in remembrance of the pain their ancestors suffered on the reservations.

The pow wow is the largest scheduled event for the spring semester and will emphasize CSULB’s rich Native American heritage. Admission is free, but parking costs $5.

Craig Stone, professor of American Indian studies and art at CSULB, said, “We are celebrating 42 years of American Indian studies, the oldest American Indian studies program west of the Mississippi, and the 41st annual pow wow.”

The event coordinators highly encourage spectators to bring folding chairs and drums if they please. Gourd dancing, which is performed by both male and female dancers in a circular arena, will begin at 11 a.m. on both days. The dancers generally have rattling gourds attached to their waists and will lift their feet according to the ascending and descending drum beats.

For an official schedule of events and additional information, visit the CSULB pow wow website at csulb.edu/powwow.