Jazz ensemble wins best in US

The top vocal jazz ensemble in Cal State Long Beach’s Bob Cole Conservatory of Music was named best vocal jazz ensemble in the collegiate division by DownBeat Magazine. 

“The vocal jazz program has received awards for five of the last six years,” CSULB’s director of vocal jazz Christine Guter said in a statement. “Last year, Pacific Standard Time received ‘outstanding performance’ for its submission, but this is the first time our program has been named winner of the collegiate vocal jazz category.”

Pacific Standard Time, a 12-member ensemble performing a variety of jazz music, is no stranger to acclaim. In April, the group captured top honors in the College Vocal Ensemble Division at the Monterey Next Generation Jazz Festival, scoring 299 out of a possible 300 points. 

“I’ve never seen scores like that in my life,” Guter said. “I’m tremendously proud of my students, and the hard work and dedication they have demonstrated to get to such a high level of music-making and artistry.”

Guter said seven of the 12 singers were new to the group, and they all exceeded her expectations.

Pacific Standard Time recently performed at the L.A. Jazz Institute Festival and the Newport Beach and West Coast Jazz Parties. 

The group closed out its 2010-11 season with a concert at the University Theatre last Friday.