University Library to stay open 24 hours

The University Library will stay open 24 hours a day beginning May 8 until May 20 as final-frenzied students stress out over last-minute projects and looming exams.

The University Library Starbucks will also extend its hours from 7:30 a.m. to midnight, providing free coffee while supplies last. 

By extending the hours of service during finals week, University Library officials hope to help students deal with the demands of finals.

According to Roman Kochan, dean of the University Library, and Danny Kolano, library facilities manager, the library will continue the same end-of-the-semester procedures it has been using at the end of each semester.

Extra tables will be added to offer additional group and study space in order to accommodate the extra students studying for finals. 

“We will be open from 7 a.m. to 12 a.m. starting Sunday, May 8,” Beach Hut convenience store manager Patrick Joyce said about the services being provided during finals. 

The Night Escort Program completed by Community Service Hours will also provide an escort to your car or other buildings on campus. 

The Horn Center will be open during finals, but will not offer extended hours. 

Some students have found the new service hours to be helpful.

Fariha Lakhani, a business administration major who commutes from Torrance, said studying at the library is far less stressful.

“It would give me a chance to stay on campus till late and not have to worry about having to pack up my books and or notes and drive home at a certain time,” she said. “The study areas are peaceful and the environment helps you study with concentration.”

International business major Ivan Orozco said the new hours will help him study around his busy work schedule.

“I work full-time which places a huge burden on my time-management,” he said. “It’s impossible to study consistently on a daily basis. I’m sure I’ll be cramming the night prior to a morning final exam. Hopefully, the 24-hour study hall will stop me from crashing and falling asleep.”