Food truck craze takes Long Beach

Gourmet food trucks lined up on Coronado Avenue off Anaheim Street, serving delicious and unique foods in Long Beach’s ZaSo design district Wednesday.

The new weekly event dubbed “Lunch Truck It” will take place every Wednesday from 11 a.m to 2:30 p.m and until Aug 4.

The event is sponsored by City Councilman Patrick O’Donnel of Long Beach’s fourth district. O’Donnel has been pushing to ease regulation on where food trucks can park.

“The idea is to facilitate conversations with local professionals and students from the neighborhood,” said Jaqueleen Larson, organizer.

There will be a constant rotation of various lunch trucks so visitors can always expect something new.

The participating lunch truck vendors include Grill ‘Em All, Greasy Wiener, Great Balls on Tires, Mandoline Grill, Buttermilk, The Vizzi Truck, Ahn Joo, Crepe’ Around, Cool Haus, Global Soul, Sweets Truck and the Lobsta Truck.

Many of the trucks can be followed on Twitter for current locations.

The Lobsta Truck offered lobster sandwiches served with butter or mayonnaise. Prices ranged from a $21 foie gras peanut butter and jelly sandwich to a $6 pork taco.

“I totally had my expectations exceeded not only by the quality of the food but also the variety,” said Tim Chauran, VP of sales for Ore Originals. “This event is not only a really good thing for the street but Long Beach as well. It shows if you bring something new to Long Beach and get a lot of variety, people will show up for it.”

For updates, follow the event on Twitter @LunchTruckIt.