CSU Board will vote to raise tuition by 12%

The Cal State University Board of Trustees will vote on July 12 whether to raise tuition by 12 percent, or $588, as the 23-campus university prepares to face a $650 million cut in state support.

This vote will be the fourth of its kind since 2009 and, if approved, would amount to an 80 percent, or $2,424, increase in undergraduate tuition.

An approval will also tack a 12 percent tuition hike to a 15 percent increase approved last November, raising tuition by 27 percent since last semester.

This will force undergraduates to pay an unprecedented $5,472 annual tuition on top of system-wide mandatory campus fees.

While Cal State Long Beach charges about $580 in mandatory fees, the average CSU campus charges $950.

“What was once unprecedented has unfortunately become normal, as for the second time in three years the CSU will be cut by well over $500 million,” CSU Chancellor Charles B. Reed said in a statement. “The magnitude of this cut, compounded with the uncertainty of the final amount of the reduction, will have negative impacts on the CSU long after this upcoming fiscal year has come and gone.”

Reed will ask the Board of Trustees to raise tuition in a previously scheduled meeting to be held at the Dumke Auditorium of the CSU Chancellor’s Office in Long Beach at 11 a.m.