Out-of-state students find a home at UCs, not CSUs

Enrollment statistics at Cal State Long Beach do not show a drastic increase in the number of out-of-state and international students in recent years, even though several University of California campuses have had major gains.

CSULB accepted a total of 3,988 first-time freshmen in fall 2010 and only 103 of those students, or 2.5 percent, were non-resident.

“To my knowledge, there is no movement to that direction,” CSULB director of media relations Rick Gloady said in regards to an increase in admission.

Non-resident students at CSULB pay an additional $372 on top of the total cost of tuition for each unit they enroll in. That means an out-of-state student who enrolls in 12 units will end up paying $4,464 more than a California resident who takes the same number of units.

However, Erik Fallis, CSU media relations specialist, reiterated that the university isn’t moving in that direction.

“The majority of our students are in-state residents and we don’t anticipate that changing much any time soon,” Fallis said.

While a university may benefit financially from enrolling more out-of-state students, Fallis said that the purpose of the CSU is to target local students.

The UC system, however, has been growing its out-of-state and international population for some time, according to Pamela Burnett, UC interim director of admission.

For the upcoming fall semester, 12.3 percent of incoming fall students will be nonresidents at the UC, compared to its 8 percent enrollment last year — a 62 percent increase in the aggregate number of nonresidents.

But UC officials said the number of California residents admitted overall will be the same, at around 35,000 students across the UC system.

Berkeley has the most nonresidents, totaling one-third of its student population.

California freshmen admitted to UCB in the fall decreased to 1,900 students, compared with two years ago. Out-of-state and foreign students, however, have increased by 2,500 students.

UCLA and UCSD follow behind with an 18 percent increase each.

The average UC tuition for California residents is $12,000 annually. For nonresidents, it is $35,000.

The added nonresident freshmen expected to attend this fall will pay $43 million more than what in-state students would have paid in their place.