SDSU president gets pay increase

The California State University Board of Trustees approved a $400,000 salary for Elliot Hirshman, the president of San Diego State University — $100,000 more than his predecessor received.

CSU Chancellor Charles B. Reed said that Hirshman’s salary was well deserved, citing his academic credentials as well as his “leadership and vision for San Diego State” as justifying factors.

“Elliot [Hirshman] has been on the campus of San Diego State since July 1,” he said. “He has been very busy on the campus and in the community.”

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom opposed the decision to raise Hirshman’s salary, saying that doing so in a time where state education is facing such dramatic budget cuts would make a profound statement about the priorities of the state government.

“The way I make decisions, I wouldn’t do this,” Newsom said. “It’s not the right time. This is not about Mr. Hirschman at all. I think it sends a very challenging message.”

Gov. Jerry Brown addressed a letter to Herbert Carter, chairman of the Board of Trustees, advising the board to rule against the proposed salary increase.

“I fear your approach to compensation is setting a pattern for public service that we cannot afford,” Brown wrote.

Newsom cited the governor’s letter as evidence that the salary increase was a questionable decision, saying that the governor wisely recognized the importance of being aware of the thoughts and feelings of the public.

“We must be cognizant and considerate of [public opinion],” Newsom said.

Board of Trustees member Roberta Achtenberg said that Hirshman’s high salary would be matched by his qualifications.

“We have a responsibility to choose excellent leadership, and to compensate [that leadership] appropriately,” Achtenberg said. “I believe that this compensation is both warranted and necessary.”

Carter argued that it wasn’t an issue of merit, but one of whether to pay Hirshman what was promised to him a month ago.

“I am mindful of the governor’s letter and I appreciate his interest and concern,” Carter said. “[But] as a matter of commitment, I believe we have to move forward with this recommendation.”

The opposition toward Hirshman’s salary increase comes at a time when the CSU system is 52 percent below comparable institutions with regard to presidential salary.

According to CSU Media Relations Specialist Erik Fallis, the issue is not related to fee increases, but more about the quality of leadership CSU schools are receiving.

“When you’re talking about a campus the size of San Diego State, you’re talking about a city,” Fallis said. “You’re talking about a person who has the responsibility for hundreds of millions of dollars. You’re talking about someone with an incredibly extensive résumé and an incredibly extensive set of skills.”

Presidential salaries account for 0.2 percent of the overall CSU budget.

“Instruction is 42 percent of our budget,” Fallis said.

“We have another 11 percent that goes to student aids, 11 percent goes to student services and 11 percent goes to academic support. So the amount we pay for the senior leadership of our university system doesn’t even rank.”

Editors Note: Cal State University campus presidents manage budgets of “hundreds of millions of dollars” not “hundreds of thousands of dollars.” This article corrects this.