CSULB tops list for minority degrees

Cal State Long Beach ranked 10th in the nation in awarding bachelor’s degrees to minority students, according to Diverse Issues in Higher Education.

The publication released the annual list, “Top 100 Degree Producers” to display the diversity of college degree holders among schools in the United States.

It is the only national report of its kind that provides information on degree success in the African-American, Asian, American Indian and Hispanic demographics.

CSULB, which earned the honor based on 2009-10 United States Department of Education statistics, had a 49 percent minority graduation rate with 3,193 recent graduates being minorities.

“This campus has made a concerted effort for years to reach out to all K-12 students and their parents in this community with efforts like the Long Beach College Promise to encourage collegiate enrollment, and, even more importantly, student success through graduating,” CSULB President F. King Alexander said in a press release.

“Cal State Long Beach is located in one of the most ethnically diverse regions of the United States, and our graduating class reflects the uniqueness of the student populations that we serve,” he continued.

These statistics also indicate that CSULB ranked first in awarding minority degrees to students studying family and consumer sciences, as well as the English language.

The school also ranked in the top 10 in various other fields, including visual and performing arts, liberal arts and business administration.

The list utilized only the most recently available data, and factored in the number of degrees awarded by ethnicity, as well as specific figures in the larger disciplines and fields of study.

In a specific ethnic breakdown, CSULB ranked 7th, 10th, and 13th in awarding bachelor’s degrees to American Indian, Hispanics, and Asians, respectively.

The school also earned first rank honors in more specialized statistics, such as awarding family and consumer science degrees to Hispanic students, and awarding foreign language degrees to American Indian students.

It was also first in awarding health and medical service degrees to Asian American students, and in the top 10 in awarding English degrees to black students.

“This magazine’s ranking once again confirms our success and progress,” Alexander said.