Additional budget cuts may affect summer school

The Cal State University system may experience additional budget cuts this winter that could influence some summer school programs that are not self-supported.

However, according to Erik Fallis, CSU media relations specialist, Cal State Long Beach’s summer school program is self-supported and, therefore, operates without state funding.

In June, the CSU system experienced a budget reduction of $650 million, or 25 percent of state support. Fallis said this was a cut to programs, services and education.

In addition, the CSU may face an additional cut of $100 million, which would take effect in January 2012, Fallis said. This cut would occur if state revenue predictions are not realized. The CSU will receive information in December if this occurs.

Cuts to summer school would only be possible for campuses with summer school operations not operating under a self-support system, Fallis said.

The decrease in state support has caused the CSU system to be more reliant on student tuition and fees, according to the university.

The chancellor has said that he does not want to recommend raising student fees but that he would if there was another cut in funding, Fallis said.

There are no specifics yet on what would happen with fees and tuition if another budget cut occurs.

According to the CSU 2011-12 Budget Fact Sheet, over the last decade student enrollment has grown while state support has decreased.

Higher education is constantly first in line to be cut and policy makers say they support higher education but this seems to be a contradiction, Fallis said. Reducing education funding will not help the economy because then we won’t have an educated workforce.

“You’re not going to recover your economy by short shifting education,” Fallis said.