Designer, alumnus Lim releases new collection

Three models bike across the city of San Francisco in Girls on Bikes, a short video featuring Phillip Lim’s fall/winter collection.

For fashion designer Lim, a former Cal State Long Beach student, his fall/winter collection wouldn’t be complete without the hard-hitting chicly minimalist pieces featured in this video.

Lim, who originally majored in finance, has garnered commercial success as an established fashion designer.

It was during an accounting course that Lim decided to change route and took sewing and pattern-making classes at the CSULB Home Economics Department.

His established menswear and women’s wear label 3.1 Phillip Lim launched in 2004. The following year, his line debuted at New York Fashion Week, where it gained critical and commercial success.

“3.1 is about clothes that refine instead of define,” said Lim on his official website. “A refinement that’s a bit classic in attitude, but imparts a sense of individual style, without looking or feeling forced. Confident, unidentifiable, chic and most of all effortless.”

His clothes maintain a balance between outrageous, basic, affordable and high fashion at $300 to $600 a dress.

According to Cityfile, a New York website that reports on the city’s “most influential” people, 3.1 Phillip Lim generated $2.8 million in sales the first six months. Within two years, it cashed in on $30 million.

3.1 Phillip Lim has been seen on celebrities like Kate Bosworth and Natalie Portman.

Lim also received the Council of Fashion Designers of America’s 2007 award for designer of the year

Lim’s designs also attempt to reach the masses. The CSULB alumnus has a fall ready-to-wear line for people who can’t afford his more expensive pieces.

His current ready-to-wear line is natural with some greens and blues contrasted with browns, as well as tunic tops mixed with baggy pants.

The Thai-born designer raised by Chinese immigrants drew inspiration from urban gang styles, such as those found in the Japanese Yakuza as well as Latin gangs.

According to Lim’s official website, he is represented in 45 countries and 400 boutiques, including a flagship store in SoHo, New York City and Barneys.