Democrat leader returns to CSULB

Long Beach Councilwoman Gerrie Schipske has returned to Cal State Long Beach to resume her teaching career in the health care administration department — a move that required her to step down as the executive director of the Orange County Democratic Party (OCDP).

Schipske resigned from her position to teach two upper division classes, Health Personnel Management and Legal Aspects of Health Care Administration. Though Schipske is no longer head of the OCDP, she still serves in the Long Beach City Council, representing Long Beach’s 5th district.

“While I liked working in Orange County for the Democratic Party, I also like teaching and consulting,” Schipske said. “I’m honored they had an opportunity for me to come back and teach.”

Schipske began teaching at CSULB in the political science department in 1977, and most recently taught classes in public policy and administration, and women’s studies from 1999 to 2003.

“I love Cal State Long Beach, and I think it’s one of the finest universities out there,” she said.

Schipske teaches a total of 95 students during three class periods a week, and structures her courses to give pupils real-world skills.

“We have one of the biggest changes in healthcare coming in 2014 with the Affordable Care Act, and one of the things I’m trying to do is make sure my students are prepared to understand its impact,” Schipske said.

Schipske has extensive experience in the medical field, including the operation of care management at St. Mary Medical Center, located north of downtown Long Beach.

Schipske, who is also a registered nurse practitioner, serves on the California Medical Board and is active in the Long Beach community. She has served on the City of Long Beach Board of Health and Human Services and helped found the Police Department’s Women’s Advisory Committee, the Sexual Assault Response Team and Long Beach Cares.

Schipske was elected to the Long Beach City Council in 2006 and was re-elected in 2010. Under Schipske’s leadership, the DPOC started a summer internship program for college students to introduce in-depth research into each city in Orange County. The project utilized the efforts of more than 30 students.

She just finished writing a book on the history of Long Beach — the third book she has written in her career.