Students give feedback to University Student Union

Starting today until Thursday, the University Student Union will be holding assessment focus groups for students to offer feedback and ideas for improving the facility.

The focus groups are open to anyone and give a chance to students who would like to express their ideas on how to make the USU better for future generations.

Faculty members and facility specialists will also be consulted for feedback.

USU Associate Director Scott Christopherson-Schorn broke down the traditional points of interest in a student union overview.

“What student unions usually do is take a look at their infrastructure as well as the services they offer,” Schorn said.

Engineers specializing in system maintenance will be called in to inspect the premises and give a general overview of the conditions.

Factors such as age, functionality and the historic value of the architecture will be taken into consideration.

Though the maintenance aspect is important to the wellbeing of the USU, student opinion is equally vital to the betterment of the service.

“How have the needs of the students changed over the years?” Schorn asked. “Are we meeting those needs?”

According to Schorn, the last time the USU’s infrastructure was inspected, expansions on the west wing were put into place and the meeting rooms on the third floor were added.

In addition, the university made a seismic upgrade to the building. However, the heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems were not given an update and, instead, were left in their former state.

“None of those systems were really upgraded like they should have been,” Schorn said. “A lot of our infrastructure is original to the building. We have dated stuff starting to break down.”

Though some of the focus groups will be geared toward specific demographics, such as upper and lower division students, all students are encouraged to attend the sessions.

Each student in attendance will receive five U-Bucks, complements of the USU.

February marks the 40th anniversary of the USU.

USU Assessment Focus Group Schedule

Sep. 13

12:00 PM – General Open Student Session

4:00 PM – Lower Division Students

Sep. 14

1:00 PM – General Open Student Session

5:00 PM – Upper Division Students

Sep. 15

12:00 PM – Upper Division Students

5:00 PM – Lower Division Students