PAC audition attracts array of dancers

PAC Modern, a division of the Pilipino American Coalition at Cal State Long Beach, held their dance audition last Thursday night as excitement and frustration filled the atmosphere in the East Gym of the kinesiology building.

“Our motto is ‘Stay Hungry,'” said Rona Maglian, one of Modern’s coordinators for the 2011-12 year. “It means always try to push to be better than yesterday. There is always something more that you can improve on.”

Gino Claudio is another Modern coordinator.

“We’re always looking for people who can respect the value of family,” Claudio said. “PAC Modern is first and foremost a family.”

Alexa Fung, a Cal State Northridge student, said that she wanted to audition because of a friend, who was also auditioning.

“I kind of got hooked,” Fung said. “I heard their reputation is really good, and I love watching their videos on Youtube. They’re the ish.”

The excitement grew bigger as the auditions started. Dancers had to perform the audition piece they learned earlier that week.

Throughout the night, dancers flung their arms and legs in hopes of creating something unique for the judges to look at.

Several dancers purposely slammed themselves onto the floor and quickly got back up again, hoping they made an impression.

The audience screamed and shouted as a few of the people auditioning did some particularly sexy dance moves. Girls in the audience lunged forward as the guys on the floor lifted their shirts to show off their abs.

Guys dropped their jaws as a few of the girls whipped their hair and swayed their hips.

“It’s going great,” judge Harmony Cruz said about the auditions. “There’s a lot of great talent. It’s intense.”

When the individual auditions were finished, PAC Modern put on their last performance as the 2010-11 team.

However, before the music started, the team gathered in a circle and began praying.

Tears flowed down the faces of team members as last year’s coordinators praised them for their hard work.

“It’s always those last performances that remind us of the whole year,” Claudio said. “We go from one year right into the next one, and it’s very emotional for us.”

As group auditions started, people who were auditioning changed into costumes.

One of the more memorable costumes was a member dressed as a Teletubbie. The judges looked intently as each group put their unique touch on the choreography.

The audition came to a close and the dancers gathered to congratulate one another.

For more information about PAC Modern, visit pacmodern.com. The first performance with the 2011-12 team will be Oct. 22 at Cal State Fullerton.