Balanced lifestyle may earn students free tuition

One student will have the opportunity to work their way to good health and free tuition this spring semester with the Student Recreation and Wellness Center’s Owen’s Tuition for Condition program.

Students can earn points that will enter them into a Dec. 8 raffle for free spring tuition by participating in various SRWC activities and exercises.

Sign up is open until Sept. 25.

Along with the grand prize winner, 15-20 other winners will be selected from the raffle for prizes such as 3G Beach Comber bikes, gift cards from health and wellness venues, SRWC water bottles and reusable bags, or free instructional classes, rock climbing, and personal training sessions at the SRWC.

Students who earn 30 points will be put in a raffle for the grand prize of free tuition for spring 2012.

But Sean Del Rossi, associate director of Associated Students Inc. recreation, said the winner will not be determined based on who gets the most points because the SRWC wants to promote a balanced lifestyle.

“We want to get people active, but we want to have a life balance and encouraging someone to come seven days a week for two hours a day isn’t necessarily the healthiest way,” Del Rossi said.

“It’s designed for someone to come in three times a week, which, based on the American College of Sports Medicine’s standards, is kind of a threshold for physical activity and wellness,” he continued.

Students must accumulate 30 points between now and Dec. 7 by participating in different fitness categories but they must have at least two points from each category.

Students may also participate in optional beach clean-ups every weekend in Long Beach to earn points.

“The goal of the program is to get students engaged in the different programs of the building,” Del Rossi said. “That’s why the program is structured in a way that you walk up to the salad bar and you see all these different programs and you have to try out each one and see which ones you like.”

Josh Owens, who is the CEO of Owen’s Trimodal in Long Beach, sponsors the program.

Del Rossi said beach clean-ups were included in the program because Owen’s Trimodal is a member of the Surf Rider foundation and the SRWC is a LEED (leadership, energy and environmental design) building.

“[Owen’s Trimodal is] environmentally conscious and so are we,” Del Rossi said. “So we thought, ‘Let’s have an environmentally conscious aspect to the program’ … and [the beach clean-up] just goes with what should bedone in the community.”

On Dec. 8, the winner will be selected at a grand finale party at the SRWC pool.

To redeem points for different fitness activities, like aquatics and intramural sports, students can go to any kiosk in the SRWC, type in their student ID number and tell an SRWC employee what kind of workout they did.

As of Sept. 14, the SRWC had 777 students enrolled in the program. Del Rossi said they hope to have 1,000 students enrolled by the Sept. 25 deadline.

“We’re hoping that students sign up for it and actually utilize and complete the program,” Del Rossi said.

“We obviously want to make sure we get as many students to complete it as we can and make a positive impact on the student experience,” he continued.

The SRWC offers several classes, including pilates, zumba and yoga.