Freshman business marketing major submits petition to recall ASI President Lucy Nguyen

A notice of intent to recall Associated Students Inc. President Lucy Nguyen was submitted to the student body president yesterday, alleging negligence, incompetence and misuse of office.

Sean Graves, a freshmen business marketing major, presented the petition to Nguyen on behalf of the Recall Lucy Nguyen Committee, but refused to comment on the nature of the group, its size or meeting place.

A press release, which was sent out by Graves, claimed that “student community leaders from across the campus” were united in their effort to recall Nguyen but only he and the ASI president were at the submission event.

When prompted to discuss the ramifications of a recall, including possible candidates to replace Nguyen, Graves declined to comment.

According to ASI bylaws, a special election may be held if a recall petition gathers the support of 15 percent of the officers’ student body, or roughly 5,000 signatures.

On Jan. 3, Jason Aula, a 2010 ASI treasurer candidate, submitted a petition to recall 2010-11 ASI President James Ahumada, then-Vice President Nguyen and then-Treasurer Jameson Nyeholt, representing an “anonymous” group on campus.

But ASI Judiciary ruled that, because Aula was not a student at the time of submission, the recall could not be granted. He collected 2,000 signatures, according to proponents of that recall.

“An individual must have standing as a current student the semester in which the petition was submitted, in order to use the bylaws, and its effects,” a unanimous decision by the court read.

Aula denies any involvement in the current recall proposal.