Libya lecture to shed light on US relations

Cal State Long Beach’s department of Africana Studies will host a lecture today about the unfolding events in Libya, entitled “Engaging Libya: International Legitimacy and National Interest.”

There will be specific issues discussed during the lecture, including discourse on moral and legal implications, extensions of U.S. foreign policy, and recent issues regarding U.S. involvement in Libya, according to Maulana Karenga, professor and chair of the department of Africana Studies.

After the overthrow of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, “Engaging Libya” hopes to spread further knowledge about more recent events unfolding in Africa and the Middle East.

Roland Adjovi, academic director of the Nyerere Center for Peace Research in Arusha, Tanzania, will share his expertise on international law and human rights. Adjovi once served on the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, a 1994 United Nations-sanctioned court that judged people responsible for the Rwandan Genocide. In addition, he earned his educational background in law and public administration, and political science and human rights at the University of Paris.

Other possible issues up for discussion are Libya’s distribution of wealth, deplorable living conditions and government obligations.

Karenga said, “Stresses in recent years, along with uprising in Tunisia and Egypt, have helped countries like Libya to bring their issues to light.”

The lecture, co-sponsored by the University Student Union Program Council, will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Alamitos Bay Room at the USU.