Possible gunman causes closure of CSUN library

Cal State Northridge closed their campus library Tuesday afternoon and students, faculty and staff were permitted to leave campus with “proper notification” to their professors or supervisors, after university officials were notified of a possible gunman on campus.

This happened after a man approached a library staff member and indicated he had a gun, said Carmen Chandler, director of news and information at CSUN.

Shortly after, the library was evacuated and closed while police and a bomb squad unit made their way to the scene.

“We are erring on the side of caution,” said Chandler at the time. “The library will remain closed until they get the all clear to do otherwise.”

At around 4 p.m., Mark Stover, CSUN library dean, told, CSUN’s campus newspaper, The Daily Sundial, that the campus library would not be open until Wednesday at 7:45 a.m.

Soon after, the campus newspaper reported that police did not find any suspicious activity on campus or in the library.

Sarkis Mkrtchyan, 24, claims he saw a man who fit the suspect’s description screaming profanities next to a stone pillar by the front of the building saying he was “doing a lot, not getting credit for it, and there’s no recognition,” The Daily Sundial reported.

CSUN students received phone calls and emails notifying them of the occurrence, said Marisol Aguilar, a CSUN graduate student.

According to Aguilar, there were news crews and police around the library.

Aguilar said that she felt safe when she got to campus because she saw all of the police officers.

“I feel scared. It makes me nervous to know that anyone from the community can just come on campus,” said Aguilar. “It’s just a scary situation.”

For live updates and more information please visit dailysundial.com