Long Beach plastic bag ban may extend to bookstore

The Long Beach plastic bag ban might extend to 49er Shops, meaning shops like the bookstore will no longer provide plastic bags to carry items purchased by students.

“At this time, the 49er Shops Inc. is looking into options and evaluating our own practices that may be affected by any actions in response to the City of Long Beach Ordinance regarding a plastic bag ban,” Communications Assistant Marlon Deleon said. “Discussions have occurred internally regarding plastic bags in Shops units, in addition to other sustainability-focused efforts in conjunction with the Presidents’ Climate Commitment.”

The City of Long Beach stopped distributing bags Aug. 1 in accordance with Chapter 8.62 in the Long Beach Municipal Code.

The goals of the ordinance are to reduce litter in neighborhoods, plastic debris in waterways and storm drains, and waste transported to landfills.

The City of Long Beach charges and provides paper bags for 10 cents if a customer does not bring a reusable bag.

CSULB would do the same by eliminating the distribution of plastic bags in shops under the 49er Shops Inc.

“Given the negative impact of plastic in the environment, it only makes sense to reduce the use of plastic bags, in the similar way there has been a push to reduce the use of plastic water bottles,” senior political science and English major Kayla Crow said. “I’d be a lot happier if the campus was to stop using styrofoam in the convenience stores and food courts/dining areas as well.”

Other students find the possible change a nuisance.

“I hope it doesn’t happen,” senior illustration major Rea Kim said. “It’s very inconvenient to not have plastic bags while shopping. Yeah, we have backpacks, but art students have a full backpack, an art box, and an art board. If we buy more books, we have no room to put them in. I buy stuff just for the bag to put all my other stuff.”

The 49er Shops is a non-profit corporation that provides a variety of services for students on the CSULB campus. The biggest service they provide is the bookstore.