Student’s unattended property attracts thieves on campus

A student’s wallet was stolen from their backpack on Sept. 28 at 9 p.m. after he or she left it unattended while using the rest room in the Vivian Engineering Center, University Police Capt. Scott Brown said. The thief left the other items in the backpack, but took off with the student’s money and ID.

Multiple students also had their property stolen while on the fourth floor of the University Library on the evening of Sept. 28. A black woman in a dark jacket and blue jeans was seen taking a Compaq laptop and other items, but police were unable to find her, Brown said.

A social security card, birth certificate, passport and other items were reported stolen from a classroom in the Fine Arts Building between Aug. 29 and Sept. 13, Brown said. However, the student did not report the items missing until they realized it on Sept. 24.

Cable locks are weakest form of security against theft

A student reported that his or her black fixie bike, valued at $600, was stolen from the bike racks near the Design Building on Sept. 26 between 11 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Brown said. A witness called the police after he or she saw a white man with a full beard wearing a black shirt and khaki shorts take out some sort of tool to cut the cable lock and take the bike. Officers, however, were unable to find the suspect.

A student reported his or her black specialized road bike stolen from the bike racks at the Outpost on Sept. 26 between 7 to 9 p.m., Brown said. It is valued at $100.

A green and black Huffy bike was stolen from the bike racks near the Parkside Dorms, Building M on Sept. 28, Brown said.

All three bikes were locked with a cable lock.

One thing leads to another

A man was arrested and sent to jail after going to the University Police Department to ask about his car that was impounded on Sept. 26 at 8 p.m., Brown said. After running his ID to make sure it was valid, police found one felony warrant and two misdemeanor warrants that the man received for avoiding an officer in traffic, which was enough to place him under arrest.

A Parkside Dorms resident assistant called police to report a fight in progress after seeing someone arguing with a non-resident student on Sept. 25 at 2 a.m., Brown said.

The situation was under control by the time the officers arrived at the scene and none of the individuals needed to file a report. However, police found marijuana on the student and issued a citation.