Long Beach runners gear up for marathon

More than 25,000 people are expected to attend and participate in the annual Long Beach International Citi Bank Marathon on Oct. 9

Runners will compete in a loop, beginning at Shoreline Drive at 7 a.m. They will then pass the Pike in downtown Long Beach, through the Queensway Bridge and down toward the bow of the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific.

The marathon is expected to end at around 2:30 p.m.

Half-marathon runners will pass through Belmont Shore, toward Cal State Long Beach, passing the Pyramid Sports Complex.

According to runlongbeach.com, there were 5,000 students and supporters cheering on athletes last year.

Street closures will start at 5 a.m. on Sunday for: Shoreline Drive, Pine Avenue, Queensway Bridge, Ocean Boulevard, Livingston Drive, Nieto Avenue, Appian Way, Park Avenue, Palo Verde Avenue, Atherton Street, Clark Avenue, Anaheim Street and Ocean Blvd.

Certain streets are expected to re-open at various times. For more information regarding the half-marathon, visit runlongbeach.com.

In addition, the Student Recreation and Wellness Center sent out an email to all members on Oct. 5 as a reminder that the marathon event will have an impact on parking if students plan on working out on Sunday.

There will be no access to the SRWC from Palo Verde Avenue until 1:30 p.m. Parking will be available in Lots 14 and 16. The SRWC’s operating hours on Sunday are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.